Friday, May 23, 2008

Wrong, Right, Wrong

I've looked at the replay at least a dozen times. And, I am almost sure that jockey Kyle Branch owes me something like $1,500 for his ride on Challenger's Song. I could be wrong.

After having such a tremendous day at unfamiliar tracks, I reminded myself not to really get involved today. That is, unless I had to. And, at that, to limit my exposure. So, I casually went over the racing form for both Belmont and Churchill.

The one move that called out to me above all others was in the ninth at Belmont. It was, importantly, the second part of a daily double. For me that is a plus factor. I studied the race for hours.

Challenger's Song met all my important long shot criteria. I recognized unheralded trainer Joe Demola from previous successes. And even though the maiden was 5 years old, I could understand the plan. On May 7, by adding blinkers, he got the old horse to best his time for six furlongs during a 1 1/16 test race on turf. Challenger finished eighth at 57-1. Today was go day--with 5lb. apprentice Kyle Branch up.

If I was right, the horse would be completely overlooked in the betting. He closed at 15-1.

Still cautious, I limited my total outlay to $50--half of that in doubles with the morning line favorite and a few pick threes--using Challenger as a single. The rest went to straight betting.

With the ninth about to start, I was conservatively looking at about $1500--if Challenger won.

At the top of the stretch, Branch could wait no longer. He circled, drove to the lead by two-no three-lengths and was pulling away when the horse, suddenly, began to shorten stride. Thank God, he lasted for third which made me a decent profit on my bet.
All said and done, I think Branch moved too early; the wrong thing to do.

I'm sending him my invoice.