Friday, May 2, 2008

The Derby, Jockeycapping and more


EASY DERBY FOR ME
If you read this blog, you know that the Kentucky Derby is interesting to me only because of it's stature in the sport. I will watch it, make a small bet in the race, keying the second favorite, and enjoy the race.
In my opinion, the best horses are too difficult, at least for me, to handicap. So I will spend little time doing so. Based on the overnight payoff for the Oaks/Derby double, my selections will be Pyro and Court Vision. DRF consensus gives me Court Vision and Colonel John. I'll decide just before post time. A simple exacta box will do.
Should I decide to stretch, I will baseball Big Brown with a few long shots--merely because Andy Beyer is again throwing out his own top figure. I will include my favorite number box 2/7, on principle. My long shot to win? Cool Coal Man. That's it. The whole thing might cost me $25.

JOCKEYCAPPING AT BELMONT
At Belmont Park, I will attempt to take advantage of jockeycapping. On major days when the nationally revered jocks are out of town, I elevate the chances of horses ridden by solid local jocks who stay around. For example, Cornelio Velasquez, Alan Garcia and Channing Hill.

Take a look at Friday's results. Combined, they won seven of the nine races--including the $61 early double, the first $202 pick three, the second $88 pick three. Velasquez took the last three races for a $179 closing pick three. Triple-boxing the three jocks in the third race retuned a $106 triple. No handicapping necessary to take down these prices.

It happens often enough to put in your angle file. I can't wait for Preakness weekend.

SNEAK PEEK RESULTS
On a whim, two days ago, I gave out horses at Churchill Downs. Here's what happened. The first was scratched, but his entrymate won the first race, paying $8. Choctaw went off the favorite in the second, nullifying any bet. Looks like Ray Rules pulled another move, and should be watched although it ran last. Finally, in the sixth race move horse Classic Robbery, at 14-1, ran second by less than a length paying $9.80 and $6.00. Exacta with the favorite (always, always) came back $50.