Saturday, May 31, 2008

One good hit; Maybe, two

A horse player truism: No one ever bet enough on a winner.

If you knew the horse was going to win, you'd wager everything you own. At best. we only deduce that a horse should contend, if not win. This lesson is reinforced every time I select a winner like Halation, who paid $144 at Belmont.

Because I wasn't at the track and didn't see the post time odds, my advance wager was merely $3 across. Otherwise, the wager would have doubled or tripled. As it is, because of the monstrous price I had nothing to complain about.

I already had a $65 winner in Monmouth's second race, so I shifted from 'drive' to 'neutral' for the rest of my wagers that day. Still, how often do you get a chance to profit from that kind of oversight offered by Halation?

This brings me to my real point. My goal is to bet fewer, but more for each bet.
All said and done, you only need one good hit to make your day.