Friday, October 12, 2007

My 2007 Breeders' Cup strategy. Part 1

Oh no! Here it comes, again! While I adore the pageantry, majesty, challenge and excitement, each year, of the world's greatest day of thoroughbred racing, I also experience my annual angst. This year will be no different.

Monmouth Park in New Jersey is host to this year's Breeders' Cup for two days (October 26-27)

Without a doubt, that Saturday, I will be glued to my television set, surrounded by Daily Racing Form pps, expert opinions from my local newspapers and personal handicapping notes I make during the three days of study prior to the event.

This time, however, I will sleep soundly the night before. I will put a non-negotiable cap on how much I spend during the cup races; consigning 70% of my stake to win and place betting, only. Merely $24 of the remaining bank will I spend on a favorite, second favorite Pick Six ticket. Should I be fortunate enough to find one of my favorite kinds of long shots in any of the battles--I might stand alone with it. The remainder goes on exotics centered around the post time second betting fave in each race.

Regardless of the results, i will have a grand time. Merely, watching the greatest horses in the world compete will be satisfaction, enough. Winners will be gravy. The best laid plans...