Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Jocks: A key profit factor


A long time ago I learned to observe the pilots of the ponies I was betting. I have very strong opinions about who I will and won't bet on any horse, at certain distances, for particular trainers, etc. While not particularly observant, I have been able to notice unpopular riders who can ride. I make it a point to keep track of the two or three long shot riders at every track I bet. They are potential gold mines.

Today, at Aqueduct, the deciding factor in selecting the winners of two races (3, 4) was pilot Jose Espinoza. He has always been a favorite long shot rider of mine. Although, not fashionable, with a lot of the New York trainers, this guy has made oodles of money for me. Let a solid trainer--Nick Zito, for example-- boost him up and I have to take a second look.

Knowing long shot (unfashionable) riders has allowed me to predict solid future careers for such riders as Eibar Coa, Rafael Bejarano, John Graham, and Alan Garcia, for example. Saratoga 2007 meet winner Cornelio Velasquez, was no surprise to me. He was long overdue.

On the flip side, I keep a short list of jocks who couldn't win with Secretariat. I won't name names. I guarantee, these guys, who are supposed to have a 'clock in their head,' don't even own a watch. Currently, I've noticed one apprentice at NYRA who seems to have carried the seven-pound bug, forever. Come on dude. Get a job.