Thursday, July 31, 2008

Branch: Just 'Beautiful' at 40-1

In a previous post, I questioned the decision of apprentice Kyle Branch in a race he rode my long shot selection third instead of a win. At the time, I promised to send him an invoice. Today, he paid the invoice in full with a luscious ride on monster move horse Beautiful LIfe, who paid $82. Coupled with another monster–Silver Babe–the exacta paid more than $400. The three moves in the race finished together for a $2000 triple return. Way to go Mr. Branch.

What is all the more puzzling is that 'Beautiful' had already run an improved last race off of his previous race move. How the public could let this gimme' get away is remarkable. Oh, that's right. They just looked at the Beyer numbers.

I guess nobody is reading my book.

FLUSH DAY CREATES NIRVANA

There is an emotion that's indescribable to folks who don't play horses. The closest I can get to a description is elation–maybe nirvana. All the pieces fall together; when unexpectedly you understand that in the next few minutes a long shot horse, that should be obvious to anyone is going to win the next race.

Only experience stops you from mortgaging your house, selling your clothes and belongings to wager on the good thing. Borrowing Base, 8-1, in Saratoga's eighth was that kind of horse for me. He won. My wager was more than usual. I am proud of myself for the control.