Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Why I am a $2 bettor: Monster Move version

After a short wagering sabbatical, during which I did lots of study, review and self-evaluation, I finally made my first bets at Saratoga. My records showed that I do well there on Mondays. No explanation. Just the fact.

The $60 in my telephone wagering account was hungry for action. But, I was determined to approach the card with the same patience I display at the blackjack and poker tables. Besides, during this meet they have rolling daily doubles–my favorite exotic bet. Need to take it slow.

There were two monster moves that jumped off the pages at me: Like Now, 3rd and Cagey Girl, 4th. Like Now was repeating a previous trainer winning tact but was up against a tough field. Additionally, the short odds were unappealing. So, just three token double bets.

So, I concentrated on Cagey Girl, who looked like she might get an easy lead on turf. She was 23-1. Rider Mike Luzzi–one of the few jocks I believe has a clock in his head–slowed the pace down enough for Cagey to win wire-to-wire at $47.6, $17, $8.4 completing a $127 double. Wager? $6 Win, Place. Thanks Mike!

The move is a monster when it connects.

Only one other bet today thanks to recognition of a trainer move by another Mike that returned $$41 to win.

Done for the day. Making out a withdrawal slip, right now.