Friday, August 8, 2008

Why Handicap?

Why do you handicap races?
Seems a silly question with an all too obvious answer. 'To pick winners, stoopid!'
I've found there's more than one answer depending on your goal. Are you really handicapping for winners or contenders? Or are you trying to hit the pick six? Maybe most of your plays are exactas–a different scenario.

While it may seem like the same effort, each goal requires a different set of parameters. And, a different set of eyes.

Before handicapping, I look over a track's complete card. I throw out maiden claimers, first-starter fields, races shorter than 6 furlongs and longer than 11/8.

Then I scan the qualifying races for the monster move. If I find a few and can construct a play, I'm done.

No moves? I seek lone speed, or a strong second-finisher. If the price promises to be too short, I go back and evaluate the rest of the field for a possible exacta play.

This is three different ventures. In each case, my intention influences what I find.

Should I want to play a multiple race bet like a pick three, four or six I have to spend additional time evaluating the morning line favorites in each leg of the bet. Then, peruse a second level of contention, etc.

In this quick fix world, it would be nice to think that one handicapping effort will yield all the information you need for every wager. My experience indicates it doesn't happen.