Thursday, June 5, 2008

Have faith, all ye doubters

Over the years, and because of the system, I have become decent at watching races. I see a bit more than the obvious. But it is not my forte.
Something I have noticed, rarely, are horses that don't want to win. I've only seen a few. They get every opportunity. reach the front, then stop running, or pull their heads back, anything not to finish first.

In my opinion, My Sister Diane at NYRA has long been a qualifier for this sad condition.

On June 1, she was entered in a 6-furlong turf race (the second part of the late double) after a layoff since October. I knew her odds would be balloons. In fact, she went off at 34-1. She would be ridden by one of my favorite long-shot riders, Jose Espinoza.

Problem is, she--and two others in the race--showed my long-shot move. One was destined to be small odds, the other a real bomb. What to do?

The system said she was a contender. Despite my doubts, I treated her as such. Upon further investigation into her past performances, I found an old 7f -turf race was one of her best Beyer numbers. The 6 furlongs on turf was new to most in this field.

I decided to have faith in my system. A $1 backwheel in the double cost me $7. An
8-1 shot won the 6th. Double was promising more than $500.

With 10 minutes to go, while explaining Sister's lack of winning determination--to my mother, of all people. I decided to back myself up. I wagered a $2 exacta box with the other (low odds) move. Then for extra security, I bet $6 to show.

From the gate, Espinoza had a fight on his hands, she steadied twice in the backstretch, refused to go through a hole on the fence in the stretch--and still he persevered, just missing the win by three-quarters of a length.

Without her 'no win' malady, Sister would have made me rich.
The winner? Thank, God it was my exacta boxer for $204. My Sister Diane paid $11.6 to show.

The point? Have faith in the system. Do what it indicates.