Sunday, December 30, 2007

How to pick a $97 winner/ Sweat the details to win

After a holiday sabbatical from racing, I returned to 'the game' with a bit of success.
The final day at the big A started me off with a bang as I selected a $97 winner. How? Simple, I looked at the details in the past performances. Coupled with some knowledge about Carol Cedeno being a better jockey than is understood on the NY circuit. And, giving credit to underrated trainer John Pregman.

No Allegiance, while finishing out of the money in the last four races, had competed against 44. first quarters at out of town tracks. Fastest horse in this field might mount a 45.2. The horse was also dropping to the lowest class level in his pps. Knowing that the inner track has been favoring speed, also helped.
I won't go so far as to say I singled No Allegiance. But he was worth a $4 win bet--and a couple of double plays which did not connect.
Unfortunately, the game No Allegiance collapsed just past the finish line and hand to be destroyed. A pity.

At Fairgrounds, race 1, the overwhelming favorite--an Asmussen/Bridgemohan special was going off at 1-5. That was enough, for me to throw her out. After examining the pps, I noticed that trainer Sam David owns a 19% win rate with firsters. Even though I am not a favorite of Jockey Zimmerman, the two seemed--in this stiuation--like Batman and Robin. This called for a small win bet on his horse, Can'tstopthisstorm, and my third selection. Additionally, wheeled the firster in the double. I was rewarded with $13 to win. And, as of this writing, am awaiting a double result and price.

Welcome back .