Tuesday, December 4, 2007

It's About Time

Time is an important factor in handicapping thoroughbreds.
Once you get through with the 'no sh-t Sherlock' remarks, I will continue. I am not talking about race time, pace time, or post time.

What I am concerned with here, is the amount of time one is willing to put into deciphering a race or a race card. What and when does it become not worth it,
Obviously it's a personal decision. For reality sake, it's one that must be made.

Unless you are a pro player, I imagine you've got other things in life to do than spend hours pouring over the form for the selection you might come up with that returns $6 for $2. Then there are the race replays to watch for trouble and trip horses. Don't forget the result chart key race and comment studies.

How much of this can you do without destroying your enjoyment of the game? As mentioned, previously, one of the things that most frustrates me about handicapping is the lack of automatic bets. The closest it comes is a lone speed horse, getting loose on a slow-paced lead. Much of my success in the game is tied to these situations.

Because they are so rare, I have had to develop the kind of patience that doesn't come naturally to me. This reality has made me become a spot player.

For time-saving purposes, I therefore avoid these kinds of races.
• Races shorter than 6F and longer that 1 1/8 mile.
• All two year old maidens
• Maiden claimers without a dropping MSW horse
• Claimers for horses that have not won more than once
• Races where not one horse has competed at the required distance.
• Races populated completely by second-tier jockeys
• Most grade 1 and 2 stakes. Grade 3's hold opportunities.

Doesn't seem to leave much, does it? On any given day at the tracks I play, I can only find one race worthy of investigation.

After that, If I can't select a play within 40 minutes, the day is done.