Sunday, December 9, 2007

Horsicide day: Lights out!


It's days like these that make me want to quit this game. And, I have--at least for the rest of December 9.
Since I am posting this blog, I will try to make it a lesson for myself, as well as readers. Let me start by saying I just realized (admitted?) that nothing disturbs me more than picking a longshot winner and not betting it. It has dawned on me how much a factor this idea is in deciding whether to bet or not. Obviously, all too often I make the bet, often when I shouldn't. (Note to self: change it)

The second highest thing on my irate chart is when my horse is supposed to win and doesn't. This is especially true when a foul is called to the attention of the stewards and they take no action. (Note to self: write something on bonehead stewards).

Both incidents happened today at Aqueduct in back to back races. So forgive me while I attempt to remove my feet from a place they don't belong in my body.

Incident one: Serious Vow, 9-1, in race 3 had chased a 1:09.1 pace in his previous race before tiring in the stretch. It would be facing nothing in this race to compare with that type of pace. The two favorites had large Beyers, popular trainers--and that's all. At the top of the stretch, jockey Arroyo had a handful of horse, began to make a winning move on the 3/5 leader when the second favorite rallies outside and the two scissor block Serious Vow nearly over the fence. The guardians of the game, didn't think it was enough to post the inquiry sign Trainer Carlos Martin had to claim foul. And we all know what that means. No change. It was a winner. Even if it finishes third, I make a profit. Aargh!


Incident two: In the very next race (a 5 1/2f maiden claimer which I supposedly do not to play) I notice two horses with my favorite long-shot patterns. The longest does not exactly fit the model. But with two overbet, suspect favorites, my normal --casual--bet involves keying my horses on top of the two favorites in a triple. Then win bets on each.

Nothing normal about today. Still griping about the 3rd race. I , merely, box my two long-shots and don't bet triples or to win. Carms Gold Warrior pays $57, the two favorites do their duty for a $984 triple. Of course, my other long-shot ran fourth completing a $6600 super. Return on investment: donut. Aaarrggghh!


Anybody got a "jaws of life?"