Saturday, November 17, 2007

If only it was this easy

This true story answers the question about whether it's better to be lucky than good.
Wednesday, for no apparent reason, I decided to withdraw some money from my wagering account. For this to happen, several events had to fall into place. First of all, I had an obligation to meet in Manhattan on an 'official gridlock alert day.' I found parking. Secondly, the person I was lunching with-who is notoriously late--showed up early. Finally, traffic back to the Big A in Queens was unusually light, permitting me to arrive just after the 7th race. I withdrew the money.

With only two races to go, I bought 'the bible' for the following day, took a seat and bet the second favorite to win. He didn't. I was about to walk out when I noticed there was an abandoned Racing Form next to me.

I quickly scanned the last race, a horrible event--maiden claimers going long on the turf for the first time. Two of the dogs showed something similar to a racing pattern that I bet. One of them was being ridden by a jock I typically hate. The trainer was unknown to me.

Determined not to get hurt, I bet $2 on his horse to win, then $1 exacta-boxed him with the other pattern candidate. A total of $4, just for the hell of it.
Needless to say, they ran one-two around the track. Hate jockey won paying $60, the $1 exacta paid $297. I immediately withdrew half of the winnings--and canceled my bets for the following day (see 10/21/07 post).

Had I studied this race, I never would have played it. My only part was looking for a particular kind of running line. Luck is, no doubt, better than skill. It's an easy game.

It took about two minutes to handicap myself into $400. I will soon review products from another handicapping system called the "One Minute Handicapper." Can't wait? Find out about the one minute handicapper by clicking here