Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I, hereby, resolve...

One of the unexpected benefits of posting to this blog is that I have learned a lot about my own horseplay. In attempting to explain what I see, do and why, I have begun to regain the kind of confidence it takes to win consistently. For the first time, in a while, I feel it's possible to advance my game.

In that spirit, at the beginning of a new year, thoroughbred racing is a perfect place to develop some guidelines, if not resolutions.

• I will reduce the number of wagers I make by at least 40%. As opinionated as I am, I can't answer yes to almost every bet offer. It's stupid. I will find two or three patterns that I can reasonably rely on for a profit. And, stick to them.

• I will develop a clear-cut profile of the kinds of horses, races, conditions and distances I win with.

• I will find out what constitutes a real edge for the types of horses I like.

• I will include the favorite in every exotic bet, even if only in second place.

• Overall, in my selection process, I will adhere as close as possible, to recorded statistics about thoroughbred racing. To that end, I will develop realistic expectations about betting, price and value.