Thursday, July 23, 2009

'Contender' that should have been placer at 60-1

One of my main considerations when it comes to qualifying the validity of a Monster mover is the jockey. Who is going to ride can make all the difference between success and failure.

With that in mind, today, I made a relatively small wager on Dear Contender at 60-1 in the fourth race at Belmont. Despite the long odds, the mare qualified on all the important criteria. The new 7 furlong turf distance figured to fit Dear Contender perfectly--except. My enthusiasm for the nag was tempered by an overall impression about jockey Raymond Fuentes. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire since joining he New York riding colony.

Automatically, I exacta boxed the horse with favored Mne or Who's.

Halfway through the race, I nearly broke my companion's arm once I saw the mare make the necessary move on the stretch turn. The favorite had the race won. I was sure to finish second. Then, there was the slightest hesitation, followed by a final lunge. Contender--and Fuentes--lost the place photo by the smallest lip. A $9 show price was little consolation. Even at small prices NYRA, the exacta would have come back nearly $300 or more. I won't even discuss the potential place price.

Geez. I cudda been a.....