Friday, April 17, 2009

Selective reading costs $

For obvious reasons, horse race handicappers are likened to weathermen. What other professions are there that can claim expertise at predicting a future that is all too often incorrect.

What puzzles me, is that the television touts, while encouraging followers to look at the new Daily Racing Formulator-stats, concentrate only on areas that appeal to their handicapping methods. Being a long-shot player, I can't afford to make these errors.

Today, for instance, in Aqueduct's 4th race, I made a nice $51 score on Wheels Up, a first time turf-starter (At this writing I have the horse covered with four others in the daily double). The 'experts' admitted that the race was filled with improbable contenders. Yet, none of them looked at the trainer jockey stats of Rodrigo Ubilo and Eddie Castro. (a monstrous 50% with a $6.50 roi). Granted, it was a stab. But it was a stab in a stab race. And, I hated the favorite. That's all I needed to at least make win and place bets (and, of course, the pending doubles).

Immediately after collecting on Wheels, I bet a $1 double wheel (with all, cost $10) on the fourth at Keeneland--another impossible 4 1/2 furlong event. And, although it wasn't easy, Kinsolving won the race at an 8-1 mutuel. Key to my wagering decision? The horse was trained by leading trainer Steve Asmussen, and ridden by his sidekick Shaun Bridgemohan. They are winning at a phenomenal clip. As mentioned here, months ago, Asmussen is killing them wherever he sends his stock. When do you get 8-1 on Asmussen?

Winners guaranteed. Now, all I've got to do is wait.

Read the form, folks!

ps: Second favorite won the next race giving me a $198 double and a $65 consolation for a scratched horse. Keeneland's up next. Can't lose!

Hachacha!