Friday, April 24, 2009

Listening to my own advice

The last post on this space ranted about how--with trainers--jock popularity seemed more important than riding skills. it's unfair to the less favored with ability. My point was proven today, in spades and with dollars, as jockey Orlando Bocachica, overcame a stumbling start on Inside Zone to score at 18-1 over favorite Bulara on the Big A turf. What a ride.

The selection of Inside Zone was bolstered by my affinity for move trainer Patricia Farro, one of the sharpest in the game. Apparently she had no hesitation about jock Orlando. I already had Zone alive in the previous double (also as a pick-six single, by the way) and nearly hesitated to bet it across the board--because Boca is not a preferred jock with a high win percentage.

Then, I remembered my own counsel. I immediately doubled my straight wagers and wheeled the horse in the next double. Boom! Can't lose. My wagering day is done.

Thanks, Orlando!