Thursday, March 19, 2009

Movers make a wheel to remember

After all the agonizing; when the re-reviews of the past performances is done for the sixth time; a horse player has only completed one-half of the handicapping equation. The second, and often, most important part of finding a decent selection is knowing how and when to bet it for maximum return.

Because move horses typically pay 9-1 and up, I choose to focus on straight betting. However, when the clues seem to indicate my mover is strong, I concentrate my win pool betting with a double-wheel. Move horses in both double races require an extra linking double bet.

Such was the case today in the first at Fairgrounds. Geaux Midey Mike was an instant qualifier. The favorite in the race was going off at 3-5, so no show bet was possible. I bet win and place then wheeled Geaux in the double. The horse paid $15.2, $5.2 and combined wth Ess El You (another stand out move in the second race, who won by 5) to complete a $332 dd payoff ( I had it twice). Ess returned $54.4, $25.5, $12.2. As of this writing the $54 horse is a single in the next pick three.

My wagering is over for the day.

Imagine what I'll do when I completely master the system.