Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Contessa: Still a move trainer

Before he became the number one trainer in New York, Gary Contessa was making me loads of money. He, privately, is a master of the 'monster' move to which I am so devoted.

Since his success, he has added a number of training methods to what used to be his standard prep move. And, the prices have suffered as a result.

Imagine my surprise when, today in Aqueduct's second race, Contessa sent me a signal that he was going with layoff horse 'Higher Incentive.' With all the popularity and celebrity surrounding this trainer these days, I figured to get maybe, 3-1 on the beetle. Shows how much I know.

Surprisingly, the horse won for fun and paid $17.60, 8.90 in all-important second half of the first double. Coupled with the odds-on favorite in the first, the $2 double paid $44. Easy to have six times.

Someone knows when a winner is going off at long odds. Think you can figure it out? You're welcome to try. I give more than 60 examples of this kind of horse--my monster move--in my soon to be published booklet. Stay tuned.

Bad ride At Keeneland

I am no tout, but Frank Brothers couldn't have been happy with all the trouble Royalinsky got into off his prep (monster) move. The horse should have been no worse than second. Brothers has a decent relationship with jockey Lopez. At least he did, until today. Watch for Royalinsky next time.